[nabs-l] Braille Reading Speed

Mariya Vasileva mkvnfb94 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 18:01:19 UTC 2013

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 30, 2013, at 4:15 PM, <trising at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Dear Maria:
>
>     I cannot help with Braille music, but I can help with your question about increasing Braille reading speed. If you practice
> these tips, your speed will increase.
> 1. Read Silently! Do not move your lips as you read. Hear the words in your head, but do not mouth them. Fast readers do not move
> their lips.
> 2. Use six fingers of both hands! Use all fingers except pinkies and thumbs. Index fingers give details, but tall fingers and ring
> fingers give the shape of the words. Fast print readers do not read one letter at a time and neither do fast Braille readers. If one
> hand is not as sensitive, that is all right, but keep it on the page. It will help out  more as you keep it involved.
> 3. Keep palms up off the paper! It should feel like you have a soft ball under your palms. Flat hands with dragging palms will slow
> you down. Keep elbows and arms slightly off the desk or page. dragging these will also slow you down. Braille is primarily read with
> the tips of the fingers, slightly back from the nail, but closer to the nail than to the pad of the finger.
> 4. Keep in contact with the Braille, but do not brush or rub back and forth or up and down. Light touch is better. Read with both
> hands working together until the last couple words of each line. When you approach the end of the line, your hands separate
> temporarily. The right hand reads the last word or two while the left hand tracks back on the same line and moves down. This way,
> you do not lose time by losing contact with the Braille.
>
> I hope this helps. Please contact me with questions.
>
> Sincerely,
> Terri Wilcox
> Secretary, National Federation of the Blind of Michigan

Dear Terri:
I wanted to thank you for the tips,  I will take them int heavy consideration as I greatly do need to improve. I do have three other questions for you, have you been to a training center for an adult program?, if you have, how would best describe the techniques on sewing on buttons and sewing holes shut? Also, what is the seam method of ironing shirts best described? I already know it for pants from a summer training program. How would I apply for VR services in a state with a better financial status than Georgia which is where I reside currently, and for me to go to LCB for adult training, while I'm they are not going to pay me.