[nabs-l] New on the list

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 1 20:58:06 UTC 2013

Shelby,
I forgot to add some things to answer your questions.
I do not use a braille display as its so expensive; I have one through my
braille Note only.
If you get one through rehab, I suggest getting one of 20 cells or more.
This way you can read several words without having to advance the display.
If you are connecting it to a laptop/netbook, you want something portable so
a huge 80 cell would not be a good idea.
Personally,  if I get a braille display, I'd probably pick the one with 18
or 20 cells. This way its smaller and portable so I could
carry it without breaking my arms from the weight of it and hook it up to a
laptop or desktop when I'm at home.

I use a Braille note for notetaking. But its up to you what you do.
I write notes in a rough outline form. What I mean is I have major headings
but do not use a formal out line structure with letters and numbers.
I have a heading; then notes underneath. Each major point I place a dash
before it since I cannot write bullets with a notetaker.
If the professor lists items, I list those too with numbers. For instance
Four family theories I'd write
Family Theories:
1.
2.
3.
4.
Then the words that go with that list. I also write down definitions and key
vocab we go over. Certain subjects have their own vocabulary. For instance
psychology has words like cognitive distortions,
classical conditioning, operant conditioning, and self efficacy.
After writing down the terms, I write down an example or two if that is
given or discussed.

HTH,
Ashley