[nabs-l] New on the list

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 1 20:43:25 UTC 2013

Hi,
are you starting college? It sounds like you know braille; I hope you had a
system worked out for high school texts and handouts.
Some of the same accomodations and techniques work both in high school and
in college.
Hopefully you had a supportive TVI who helped you advocate for your needs
and taught you to order books and you learned adaptive technology.

I suggest you meet with your teachers at the beginning of the semester.
For notetaking, the important thing is to do it; some blind people simply
record class and I don't think that is a good idea. You will not be fully
engaged in the lecture then and reviewing notes really will help you study.
Recording class can be a good way to review complex material or if a
professor goes real fast, you might review things verbatum with a recorded
version. You can book mark certain sections in a lecture.

So, I'd say definitely take notes and record as a secondary option.
How you take notes is up to you. However, if you are a braille user, you may
find having an electronic notetaker with a built in braille display very
helpful. You can read your own notes with it and read class writing to
others if you need to share it in class. So, if you have worked with or are
familiar with a notetaker, this is an excellent option. Notetakers such as
a Pacmate, BrailleNote, or Braille Sense are popular notetakers.

If you are comfortable typing notes and have a mainstream device such as a
laptop or IOS device like an Ipad, these devices are also notetaking
solutions. I don't do it that way since I need braille to study and a typed
electronic copy would not afford me the braille option.

Next how you read your books is up to you. But I'd say different options
give you different features and flexibility. Personally, I use audio books
when I can; Using Learning ally textbooks formerly RFB&D,
is a good option since they describe diagrams and charts as well as you can
get page numbers from it.

However using electronic text copies by scanning books gives you some more
information as well. You can see the spelling of words, what is bold or
italicized, and the structure of the writing; such as where paragraphs break
or where quotations are.
I think a con to scanning text is that scanners make errors and you cannot
scan things like charts and tables; it won't make sense.

So, whatever works for you is best. I might also mention you can usually get
your DSS office to get you electronic texts when you provide proof of
purchase. This is better IMO; it eliminates the need to scan books. Why
spend time scanning if you don't have to? So, I'd say between using daisy
books through Bookshare and Learning Ally and publisher issued texts, you
may not need to scan books.

Ashley