[nabs-l] Extended Time

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at comcast.net
Thu Feb 7 21:36:01 UTC 2013

Good morning, Ari,

         Personally, I reject all that On-line
test taking, preferring instead human inner
action. I don't feel it saying anything less of
me to call on my fellllow humans to, in the
absence of my own visual capabilities, to do the visual stuff, for me.
I mean, aren't people upon this earth to help each other, no mater how?
This, is to say that personally, I don't mind
calling on my fellow humans to do the ocular
seeing for me, just as I would be totall obliged
if another  person needed me to fulfill some
sensual imput that was within my capacity, and not ther's.6/2013, you wrote:
>I am curious to know about this online testing thing, because it seems
>as if you guys are mostly all doing it? What I mean is, what is the
>software you are doing the test on? We use moodle here and once they
>had an online test for something or other but the unit said the online
>testing at my uni isn't accessible. It is also very interesting to see
>how you guys do online tests in class, I suppose its all in the
>digital revolution. Unfortunately here I suppose many students can't
>afford the technology or the professors don't trust online tests, in
>any case, everyone still uses the old pen and paper, even for multiple
>choice quizzes, so we then have to do it orally with a tutor.
>Ari
>Ari
>
>On 2/6/13, Ashley Bramlett <bookwormahb at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Kirt,
> > I'm glad that works for you. Yes I've heard of the quic hot key R for radio
> > buttons.
> > Yes, it takes you to the first radio button. But what I'm saying is there
> > are four buttons for four choices per answer.
> > I hear all of the choices and then go up line
> by line to select my choice. I
> > don't thinking pressing shift R will work because it will just take me to
> > the last radio button, but I need to see the whole line. Its hard to
> > explain, what I mean is I need to see what radio button goes with each
> > answer.
> > I wish jaws said something like B radio button checked and then read the
> > answer but its not like that.
> > Maybe our blackboard is different. I think finding the start of the quiz
> > with H for heading is my best bet and once I figure out what heading level
> > it is, I can use the number heading for the next ones; for instance, 3 for
> > heading 3.
> >
> > I feel a reader could give me the info I need by scrolling up to say
> > question 4 and reading me what I selected rather than me going line by line
> > through the questions. Maybe I should do that.
> >

> > I haven't had online quizzes before so I'm
> hoping to get used to it and find
> > short cut keys that work. Still IMO, extended time should be granted if I
> > feel its needed. My professor will have to give me extra time in class
> > quizzes though.
> >
> > Perhaps my disability counselor will talk to the professor.
> > Ashley

 It will save you a whole bunch of arrowing down.  And, at least
> > for me, once I figured out how Jaws
> Associates radio buttons with particular
> > question answers, on whatever quiz I'm
> taking, it's been really easy to just
> > apply that pattern to the rest of the quiz
 Hopefully, I am making sense.