[nabs-l] Are You Living Someone Else's Dream?

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 14:05:51 UTC 2013

Hi,

Over the past few weeks it's been exciting to see the mix of new and
familiar names that keep this list the best of its kind. I also have to
wonder how in the world I once had the time to keep up with the traffic!

Anyway, by way of a brief re-introduction, I am a former NABS board member,
former TABS president, current working professional living in DC yada yada.
The more important characteristic about myself is that I am not so many
years removed from most of you guys, and as I get closer to releasing my
first young adult novella, it occurred to me that my literary network is
primarily made up of other writers.

To that end, I hope you won't mind my occasional article post on topics of
interest to the young and the young at heart ranging from college prep to
financial management and just about everything in between. In essence, it's
the suggestions I wish someone would have pounded into my head when I was an
undergrad. My aim is not blindness-specific, but if I thought of this list
as a promotion platform, it's because I think you have a lot of valuable
suggestions to pass along to young and new adults, blind and sighted alike.
Tempting as it's been, I won't throw my twenty dollar's worth into your
discussion threads.

With that, here's the first in the series:

Are You Living Someone Else's Dream?

Too many young people wind up in jobs they hate because they followed
someone else's advice about how to use their talents. You would think that
after a certain age we would be capable of making major choices independent
of the influence of family, friends, or career guides, but too often we
allow someone else's well-intentioned promptings to steer us in directions
we would never have chosen for ourselves.

As a child my father thought I would make a good concert pianist. I love the
piano and will one day master it, because it is equal parts challenging and
relaxing, but playing the piano is fun for me so long as it remains a hobby.

That's the first lesson: Learn to separate your passion from your leisure.
Your passion usually wants to satisfy others, whereas your leisure only has
to satisfy you.

Read the rest of the article:

http://joeorozco.com/blog_are_you_living_someone_elses_dream

Joe