[nabs-l] Forum for discussing social/emotional issues with other blind folks

Desiree Oudinot turtlepower17 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 06:47:20 UTC 2013

Ok, I think I'll go with Blind Social Talk. It's general enough
without being too broad, but also states its purpose clearly. The only
thing I have to do now is create a file for the rules that will be
sent out on a monthly basis, then I'll create the group itself, since
that only takes a minute to do.
there's one more thing I would like some opinions on, however. When a
person joins the list, I will approve them, as I don't trust the
system of just having Yahoo automatically approve everyone. I've seen
what happens when groups get overrun by spammers. So, since this group
is aimed at a target audience, and sensitive information is going to
be shared, do you think it would be sensible for me to ask that each
person write a brief statement about themselves before they're
approved to join, just so I can get a feel for their motivations for
joining, and their age? I don't want to seem overly paranoid, but the
last thing we need is a bunch of trolls or people who are up to no
good. No offense to anyone on this list, as I highly doubt such people
are here to join, but I'm hoping that the word is spread beyond this
list, and that others will hear of it. I'm also wondering where else I
might spread the word, so that I can reach more people who might
benefit. I thought about maybe creating a board topic on the zone BBS,
but I'm a little weary about that, simply because, well, not everyone
on that site is exactly trustworthy. Any thoughts would be
appreciated.

On 2/19/13, Mauricio Almeida <mauriciopmalmeida at gmail.com> wrote:
> i'd simply go for blind social because it allows more things to be thrown
> into discussion and people won't go like hmmm i can't talk about this
> because it isn't in the name of the list.
>
> feel free to cc me on emails if you guys do take this off list.
>
> Mauricio
> On Feb 18, 2013, at 11:51 PM, "Chris Nusbaum" <dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Arielle,
>>
>> I'm not Desiree, but I personally like Blind-Social or Blind-Social-Talk.
>> Thoughts? Maybe at this point we should take this discussion off-list...
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> Chris Nusbaum, Co-Chair
>> Public Relations Committee
>> Maryland Association of Blind Students