[nabs-l] knowing what someone looks like

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 21:53:21 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Some situations I have recently been in at school and in other places have
caused me to think about a question which I would like to get your thoughts
on. I have noticed that when identifying other people, sighted people often
use information about their visual appearance. For example, they might say
"He's the tall guy with dark hair." Sometimes, I have tried to refer to
another person when talking with a sighted person and found it difficult for
them to know who I'm talking about without information about how the person
I'm referring to looks. For example, I have sometimes asked either another
student or one of the adult supervisors in our school's cafeteria if they
see a friend who I would like to sit with. I can tell them the name of my
friend, but unless they know him/her, they can't tell me if they see them
without asking somebody else who does. So, I'm wondering how important you
have found knowing what someone looks like to be. If you have found it
important at all, are there specific people you want or need to know this
information about? Where do you get information about the visual appearance
of someone; the person you want to know about, another friend, etc? I look
forward to hearing your thoughts on this!

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Nusbaum, Co-Chair

Public Relations Committee

Maryland Association of Blind Students: a division of the National
Federation of the Blind of Maryland

Phone: (443) 547-2409

Email: dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com

Personal Twitter: @Chrisn98

MDABS Twitter: @MDMdabs

Personal Facebook: www.facebook.com/dotkid

Join the MDABS Facebook Group: search for Maryland Association of Blind
Students

Skype: christpher.nusbaum3 or search for Chris Nusbaum

"Together, we are changing what it means to be blind." - Motto of the
Louisiana Center for the Blind