[nabs-l] knowing what someone looks like

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 04:36:29 UTC 2013

Hi, Chris.

In high school I had this problem occasionally too.  I have some
vision so I was usually fine in a classroom or when I was in an area
where a bunch of people all knew each other and I could just ask
anyone to steer me in the direction of who I was looking for, but in
cafeteria or other large open spaces I had this challenge too.  One
thing that really helped me was knowing something unique about the
person's appearance that was always consistent.  For example, I knew a
girl with red hair who always wore a ponytail, and I knew another
person who usually wore a denim jacket at least in the cold months.
It may sound silly, but it's these random things which really help
visual people spot a particular person.  Sometimes asking for
identifying information helps too; I've asked friends what they were
planning to wear so that when we met for school functions I could ask
someone to find them for me too.  Try to pick out conspicuous details
and use those as your identifyers more than "brown hair," or "tall,"
which are more general.  And, if something is either always the same
or is nearly always the same it saves you the trouble of looking for
new identifying information every day.

HTH.

Kaiti