[nabs-l] Statistics course

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 16:58:22 UTC 2013

Hi Bridget,

I have a question based on your last email.  I too am starting my
stats course next week and am a little worried about my assignments
and such.  I had a really old-school braille instructor who taught me
to use a Perkins brailler all through high school math, but now my
disability services people want me to learn math player and do
everything on the computer, which is a little intimidating simply
because I've never used the computer for math before.  They want me to
do this though since there is no practical way to translate the
braille, as we don't have a transcriber or anyone sighted who could
convert my answers.  They also want me to sit with someone and tell
them which buttons to push every time we use a graphing calculator.  I
suggested checking out the stats functions in the BrailleSense
calculator as well as AGC, but they claim it doesn't have all the
functions my professor wants us to use.  Like the computer, I'm not
familiar with print calculators, obviously since I've never used one.
I know they have random buttons like ABC and such, but I don't know
what those do and wouldn't know when to use them.  I'm not really
comfortable going into stats using these things I've never used
before.  Would you, or anyone else, have other suggestions?

Thanks,

On 1/6/13, Bridget Walker <bridgetawalker13 at aol.com> wrote:
> Hi Justin,
> During my first year of college I took college algebra and I have a friend
> who took psychology statistics last year. We are both Braille readers. I
> found it was helpful to take notes in my preferred format. Any assignments
> that I needed to turn in I had a scribe for as did she. We both took
> advantage of the tutoring  center and all of our accommodations.  My best
> advice would be speak to your professor often, if you need help along the
> way tutoring and direct instruction from the professor are a good way to go.
> I never had a problem with accommodations in any of my math or science
> courses and I'm sure you will be fine.
>
> Best of luck
>
> Bridget
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Jan 2, 2013, at 6:58 PM, Justin Young <jty727 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All!
>>
>> Hope the New Year is treating you all well!  I have to take a
>> Statistics course and haven't gone through this course before.  I was
>> wondering if any could give any pointers on how they survived the
>> course?  Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated!
>>
>> Justin

>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/bridgetawalker13%40aol.c

Kaiti