[nabs-l] Using Dictionaries

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 22:36:45 UTC 2013

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has ever used Cassell's dictionaries before?
I need them for a couple of my classes, but I'm a little concerned about the
OCR programs really bungling up the Italian or German words. Because my AS
department doesn't have anyone who knows Italian, they would be useless in
proofreading. How are dictionaries often scanned in for you language or
foreign lit majors?
The online dictionaries sometimes work, but when you get some really old
words or poetic words, they become useless.
Also other dictionaries like the Harper-Collins Italian College Dictionary
have the IPA spellings so I can know if the es or os are open or closed. (I
keep getting yelled at by my teacher because I keep pronouncing those
wrong.) But if I think another language would be bad, I have no idea what it
will make of IPA...
Any suggestion's would be greatly welcome!
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs