[nabs-l] virtual meetings and conference calls

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 16 23:40:07 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I wanted to investigate how to run a conference call and virtual meeting; Virtual means online.

I want to talk  to several friends at once to plan events or just catch up on college experiences; particularly a few blind friends; traveling is harder for us with the spread out of people and not everyone has the greatest transportation; for instance some people live where buses only go there in rush hours.

Anyway, I thought we could set something up online or phone.
This way we can chat from the convenience of home.
What free conference services are out there and how do you go about setting it up?
I have access to a typical land phone with unlimited long distance service. Is this all I need?

Also, I was hoping to set something up online as well. Is skype our best option? Can you skype multiple people at the same time? I know you can do that with the premium service, but not sure about the free one. Ideally, I’d like to be able to have video capability for those of us who can see a little. I know skype has video options, but you can only do one to one without having a premium account.
The only other online chat service I know about is tango. But I don’t know anyone who uses it nor do I know if its accessible.

I only can think of virtual services that cost money and was hoping to find one that is accessible and did not cost anything.
For instance adobe connect is popular but costs money and is not accessible.

Thanks.

Ashley