[nabs-l] Intro and questions

Ari Damoulakis aridamoulakis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 18:03:02 UTC 2013

Hi everyone
My name is Ari. I'm a totally blind student from South Africa. At the
moment I'm studying law. I found this list on google when I was
searching for how to learn Japanese if one is blind.
My questions are these:
1. I would like to study some courses corespondence, possibly online
from either America or Canada. What American or Canadian colleges or
institutions are good at helping disabled people do courses through
corespondence? One important problem or aspect that does bother me is
if I want to study something they'd have to also somehow be able to
provide me with the prescribed textbooks and help to do research as I
know if you guys do research you often use services such as BARD,
Learning Ally etc, which are not available to me, so somehow they'd
have to accommodate me being able to research in some other way.
2. I know this is an American list, but I'm asking in case someone
knows. When I finish my degree I'm thinking of doing a conversion
course and emmigrating to Canada. Does anyone please know of a list or
chat room where I can chat to blind people or students from Canada
just to understand what it is like to live and study there, basically
to learn more about Canadian culture and their way of life, especially
what it is like to be blind there?
   Thanks very much
Ari