[nabs-l] netflixsays "no" to audio description

Valerie Gibson valandkayla at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 16:53:16 UTC 2013

I think one of the problems with the NFB is our reputation for being "sue happy".
And with the last email, I see where we get that rep, seeing as it was the first response to something like this.  In the link, it seems that only one netflix representative was spoken to. Why not ask, via email or phone, if there is anyone to which one can speak to figure out how you can colaborate to making netflix movies descriptive.

My personal opinion, you're not going to get much headway with this.  This issue doesn't affect all blind people, and so not all blind people are going to be on board with this.

As some may know, i'm interested in becoming a certified dog trainer, and one could argue that that doesn't affect all blind people. owever it is a potential job prospect, which affects income, and jobs and income are not the same as the ability to have descriptive movies.

Furthermore, not all blind people like movies in descriptive and find it destracting.  Depending on the movie, i am one such person, so my thoughts here could be a little bias.

Would it be nice for just the option to watch movies in descriptive? sure. But i think before we jump to "let's sue them", we should at least do something more passive.  A petition perhaps?

Just my thoughts.