[nabs-l] What I Think I Want To Do...More Questions...

Joseph C. Lininger devnull-nabs-l at pcdesk.net
Sun Jun 9 18:45:50 UTC 2013

Kerri,
I struggled in a similar way. It wasn't really because of low self
asteam, it was more a question of being "lost" and also being frustrated
at the way life was for me at that point. This was back in 2009. I had
been laid off from my job, and I was having trouble finding another one
because of the fact I didn't have a college degree.

Here's what helped me, and I think it would help in your case as well.
You've decided what your interests are, and that's good. Now, what you
should do is to decide how you think you want to pursue them. You
mentioned college; that's a reasonable way to start your pursuit. So,
now you need to take the next step. Don't try to think of all steps you
have to take all at once, or you'll overwhelm yourself and fall victem
to the self confidence thing again. The next logical step would be to
investigate the college you're considering. I suggest speaking to
advising and or career services at the college; they may even be able to
make some suggestions as to what academic and career paths you should
consider based on your interests and aptitudes. Also speak to disability
services at the college about which acommodations you may need so you
can get a feel for how the office operates. Some are better than others,
and it's good to know what resources they will assist you with and which
you'll need to find a way to obtain in some other way.

Joe