[nabs-l] What I Think I Want To Do...More Questions...

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 19:00:34 UTC 2013

Hi Kerri,

To go off of what others have said, here are a few strategies I've
used/am using now as I figure out what I'm going to do.  Even though I
have a major and a career path figured out, I'm going through
something similar in that I'm trying to figure out which population I
want to work with in the future.

As far as academics go, meeting with an academic and career advisor
would be a great place to start.  As Elizabeth and Arielle said,
breaking down the requirements into smaller chunks is a great idea.  I
struggle with this as I am a planner and like to have everything lined
up, but my adviser gave me this curriculum sheet which lists the
courses I need to take, the requirements I need for my liberal arts
degree including my gen eds, and shows everything listed by semesters.
 This allows me to see the big picture and feel like everything is
planned out, but focus on the next semester or the one after that at
most in greater detail when I'm planning out my schedule.  A tool like
that might be good for putting things in perspective, and can also be
a confidence booster.  I like to check off the courses I've completed
on the sheet so I can see what I've done so far and what is left.

Sounds to me like you have a better idea about what you want to do
than you think.  I think the suggestion s others have given are pretty
solid, but I'll say that experience is a great way to figure out where
your passions lie as well, and that doesn't always take place in a
classroom.  E.G, perhaps if you're interested in being a spots writer
you could get in contact with one in your area and job shadow for a
day or two, show them some writing samples and get feedback, etc.
Going out and getting your own experiences also creates networking
opportunities which aren't always available in the classroom, and may
last even if you change your mind and persue a different field in
school.

That's all I have for now, but I'll add more if I think of it.  Hope
this helps.

--
Kaiti