[nabs-l] Connecting BrailleSense with Apple IOS devices

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 21:16:04 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I know this might initially seem off topic for this list, but
everything will be explained by the end.  I have a BrailleSense
On-Hand running the latest version of the software from HIMS and an
IPhone 4 running IOS 6.1.  Not being the techiest person in the world,
I just made my first attempt at connecting the BrailleSense to the
IPhone.  The initial scan went well and I was able to put in the pin
and connect the devices, but after a few seconds an alert popped up on
my IPhone that said the device was not supported and the only option I
had for clearing the dialog box was "Forget device."  Now the IPhone
will show up on the BrailleSense but the IPhone won't even bring the
BrailleSense up in its searches anymore.
I looked around on Applevis and I know that Apple messed up the
braille drivers in IOS 5.1 in such a way that certain braille
products, like the ones from HIMS, didn't work well.  Apple was made
aware of the issue but I'm not sure if they fixed it in 6.1 and my
connection was just a fluke or if the issue still has yet to be
resolved.  But connecting my IPhone isn't that big of a deal; what's
more important to me is not having the same issue with other I
devices.  I'm considering buying an IPad mini for school.  I figured
that with the right apps, (Pages or a Microsoft Word app, Numbers,
Dropbox, etc), I would be able to take the IPad and my BrailleSense to
certain classes which rely more on notetaking and not have to take my
laptop with me everywhere I go.  I was hoping that this would be able
to work and that the BrailleSense would be able to act both as my
bluetooth keyboard and a braille display.  As a back up I could get
the Focus 14 to go with the IPad, but I would rather not buy another
braille display if I don't have to.

If anyone has had experience connecting their BrailleSense to apple
devices or would be able to advise on whether my IPad Mini plan would
be worth it please let me know.  Thanks.

--
Kaiti