[nabs-l] English Composition 2 Class Research Paper Topic

Helga Schreiber helga.schreiber at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 21 01:06:19 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I just wanted to tell you that for my ENC 1102 class, my professor told us that we need to write a Research Paper on a topic that we are interested on, or we like to learn more about. So today in class she told us that we need to think on a topic. So I actually today after class I told her the name of the topic that I would like to  write about. Just to let you know,  The name of my topic is “Exists Descrimination between Visually Impaired College Students?”
I am actually interested in this topic because since I’m studying in order to become a lawyer, I really would like to learn about this issue, since one of the things I would like to focuss on is on dissability rights. I just would like to ask you, did some of you experienced or are still experiencing descrimination during your life, or college years? I was just wondering, since I would like to use some of your life stories as facts and evidences in my research paper in order to prove that descrimination really happens in the life of a visually impaired college student. If you would like to provide me your biography, or life stories regarding this issue, you are welcome to do so. Also, let me know if you would like me to use your name, or if you rather would like to be anonymous?
In fact, my professor told us that before we start writing our  research paper, we need to do a Bibliography and find sources online about this topic. Just to let you know, here are the steps that we need to follow before writing this research Paper:
Part II: The Bibliography [10 sources with 3-4 sentence summaries of each source]

Before you start writing your research paper, you will conduct some preliminary research on your topic/research question. You will compile this initial research into a bibliography (a list, basically) of your sources in MLA format.  You will be drawing upon these sources for your final research paper (though you may not use all of them).  You will also include a short [3-4 sentences] summary of each source.

Your bibliography must include the following:

§  Two books (they can be old-fashioned printed books or eBooks, it doesn’t matter).

§  Two articles from scholarly (peer-reviewed) journals found using the library’s databases.

§  Two articles from websites that are professional in nature and do not contain user-generated content*

§  Four articles from popular periodicals (newspapers and magazine produced for a general audience, like Time, The New York Times, Newsweek, The Sun Sentinel, etc.)

You must have a total of 10 sources, and the sources MUST fit the criteria listed above.  Though all of your sources may be “web-based” (i.e., newspapers and magazines published online, scholarly articles in full text found via database, a book accessed via ebookcollection, etc.),  you may not use web  sources that contain user-generated content (no Wikipedia, Answers.com, eHow.com, or similar websites) due to credibility of the information available. If you’re not sure if your website is suitable, you should ask me. In general, some .orgs and .coms can be pretty sketchy, but .govs and .edus are usually pretty credible provided you trust the information provided by our federal government and institutes of higher education.

 So this are actually the steps that I need to follow before writing my research paper. I was just wondering, if would it be possible for you as well to give me some sources like these ones in order to start searching on my topic? By  the way, the reason I ask you if you could provide me with your life experiences is because I would like to use them in order to prove my point regarding this issue. Also, could you let me know what do you think of my topic? I will really appreciat it. Thank you so much for listening and for your time. God bless.

Sincerelly, Helga Schreiber

P.S. If you have any questions regarding this, you can email me off list if you like? my email address is

helga.schreiber at hotmail.com