[nabs-l] Juggling Convention Schedules

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 22:24:18 UTC 2013

Hi Bridget,

I definitely understand the problem of having too many division
meetings happening at the same time and wondering how to get to all of
them. Here's my advice to first-time convention attendees as someone
who's been to eleven national conventions now:

1. Go through the agenda and write down all the meetings you want to
attend. Then make yourself a daily schedule with this information that
you can keep in a portable place (iPhone, Braille Note etc.) Include
times and room locations on the schedule.

2. If meetings are at the same time, it's OK to attend some of both.
You can pop into NABS for an hour and then go to the other division
meeting or vice versa. Just sit near the door and be discreet when
entering and exiting meetings. (And please don't let your dog lie
across the doorway! Not joking, this happened with someone's dog once
at a meeting, and it prevented me from leaving the meeting early in a
discreet quiet manner)!

3. If you have two or more meetings at the same time and don't want to
have to miss some of each, you can pick one meeting to attend in its
entirety, and then arrange for a friend or fellow division member to
fill you in on events happening at the meeting(s) you missed.
Obviously, if you are an officer in a division or asked to speak at a
meeting, that division's meeting should take priority.

4. If you are a student, you can sign up for the NABS mentoring
program and be matched up with a mentor. The mentoring program
includes a welcome meeting for all mentors and mentees on Monday from
6:00-7:30. I am not sure if the online sign-ups are still active but
if you want to be paired up with a mentor, email me off-list at
arielle71 at gmail.com

Best, and enjoy the convention,
Arielle