[nabs-l] Cane as an ID

Hamid Hamraz hhamraz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 22:39:33 UTC 2013

Dear Folks,

It is a couple of months I have been investigating a way to represent my blindness without making a functional use of cane. To be more precise, the target people benefiting are those whose residual sight lets them to walk without the use of a cane and who want to let the other people around them know about their blindness. Carrying a cane is indeed an option. However, I personally think that holding a long cane in my hand without using it and walking perfectly is weird in public. In Germany, they have a special symbol representing this which can be attached anywhere in any size at one's own discretion (and everybody is indeed aware of that). However, there is no such a thing here in US, and setting that up requires time and educating the society about that.

My question here is what type of cane I should look for? I need something much smaller just to serve as an ID rather than a functional tool. I appreciate any suggestion.

Hamid