[nabs-l] Fair/appropriate accomodations for assignments and tests involving videos

Miso Kwak kwakmiso at aol.com
Wed Mar 27 02:52:59 UTC 2013

Being the only blind student in classroom, there are times when I feel
like class activities are not suited for the visually impaired.
There are just some times when I strongly feel like teachers don't
consider enough about the only one blind student in his/her classrooms.
One of those occasions is watching a video and doing follow-up
activities.
Currently, I am enrolled in Spanish 3 Honors class. In the class
recently, we watched a movie and had to do 3 worksheets and a quiz in
the end.
The movie was entirely spoken in Spanish. There was English subtitle on
the screen.
When the class started watching the movie, teacher asked one of my
friends to explain the storyline of the movie, so she did.
I didn't understand thoroughly but I just grasped what was going on...
I didn't do most of the worksheets because they didn't worth many
points and I frankly didn't know what to write. If I were desperate for
the points, I probably would have bs-ed.
The teacher reviewed the movie and I asked some questions. Afterward I
felt like I had a better understanding of the movie.
Then there was a quiz. I felt prepared goinginto the quiz but when I
took the quiz I was shocked because there were so much more than I
previously had thought.
For example, one of the questions asked who died in a ship. I didn't
even know someone had died in a ship. It was just one of those details
which neither my friend nor the teacher mentioned.
There were couple more questions that made me realize I had missed so
much.
I am debating whether to confront my teacher about this matter or not.
If you were in my situation, would you tell her that the test was
unfair?
When you have assignments involving videos what kinds of accomodations
do you have?
My aide who usually types materials into doc documents suggested she
types the subtitle, I read the subtitle, and retake the test, which I
think is reasonable...
Miso