[nabs-l] Fair/appropriate accomodations for assignments and tests involving videos

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 03:02:27 UTC 2013

Hi Miso,

As a German major, I have been confronted with the issues of videos in
the classroom as well.  There are a few things you can do.  To be
honest, whatever you do, you won't get the same thing out of the video
as the others do, but you can try to get accomidations to make it
better.

First, you can get a friend to read you the subtitles, which is
something you seem to be doing already.  This will be difficult
because your friend will probably try to read you the subtitles and
explain the movie at the same time.  You will miss things.  The other
thing you can do is get your teacher to provide you with a detailed
summary of the movie ahead of time, so you have an understanding of
the plot of the movie.  I have found this to be helpful.

I have noticed that movies are one of the biggest ways we are left
behind as blind students.  It is difficult to get accomidations to
fully supplement what the sighted students are learning from a movie
because either we miss it completely due to lack of description or we
learn it after the fact.

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National