[nabs-l] Fair/appropriate accomodations for assignments andtests involving videos

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 15:08:15 UTC 2013

Usually, yes, but in some cases like Miso's she was tested over things
that weren't included in the dialogue and that her friend and teacher
forgot to mention to her when she asked.  It really wasn't fair for
her to have to be tested on the parts of the information she had no
way of knowing about.

I think the language barrier makes videos even harder than usual for
us.  I had a similar experience when I watched those videos in
Chinese; we had a test over the material and some of the questions
were about events that happened which weren't discussed in the
dialogue, like, "What did the boy see when he was separated from his
father in the city?"  In the movie the boy broke away from his father
to look at a violin, but all the diealogue that was there was the
father ylooking for his son and yelling his name, and the scenes were
flipping back and forth between the worried dad and his son looking at
the instrument.  When they found each other the dad just said, "There
you are, let's go we're going to be late," so had my reader not
described what was going on to me I wouldn't have understood what the
boy was looking at.

Kaiti