[nabs-l] Descriptive videos

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 22:43:54 UTC 2013

Hi Winona,

I agree with Sophie; a lot of movies have dialog that is so
descriptive that there isn't really anything missed by not having
access to the video on-screen.  Also, if I've watched a movie before,
and I've found this to be true for other blind people as well, I tend
to remember what is going on even in places where the dialog isn't
very descriptive.  E.G. I just watched a pretty new movie that to my
knowledge hasn't been out long enough to be described yet with my
family.  The first time I had to ask a few times for clarification on
what was happening, but when my dad watched it again the next night,
(yes apparently he liked it that much), I knew exactly what was
happening based on the cues from the soundtrack; I even was able to
remember a subtitled part spoken in German that I needed someone to
read to me earlier.

That might be an option for you.  I don't know the requirements of
your project or if you've been assigned to watch a specific movie, but
if possible you could always pick a movie that fits the assignment and
you know well enough to either get by just listening to dialog or have
the ability to describe even visual parts that aren't explained by
talking because you know it so well.

Kaiti