[nabs-l] All-in-one Printers compatible with Kurzweil?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu May 16 23:11:05 UTC 2013

I own a Canon MX 700 printer/scanner/copier and it works fine with
Kurzweil. However, I would honestly recommend RoboBraille over any OCR
program. RoboBraille is a free email-based service that provides OCR
of scanned PDF's and other images within a few minutes. I actually
think the OCR quality is better than the OCR quality I get from
Kurzweil 90% of the time, and the OCR version is sent back in properly
formatted Microsoft Word, not a file format you have to either save in
Kurzweil or paste into a Word doc and lose all the formatting. Because
of these advantages I've completely stopped using Kurzweil and don't
plan to upgrade my copy. Frankly, I don't see the justification for
having students or rehab agencies spend money on a program that
generates less accurate and less user-friendly OCR output than
something that's free.
To use RoboBraille, send the image document as an attachment to
convert at robobraille.org
and put "doc" in the subject line (leave the body blank).
I have only done this with scanned PDF's but I believe that
RoboBraille can also handle TIF, JPG and other image formats that your
scanner will generate for you.
Best,
Arielle