[nabs-l] Mac book air or mac book pro?

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Fri May 24 13:11:48 UTC 2013

First off, great choice of school.  I graduated from Wake Forest in 06 and really enjoyed my time there.

As to the differences between the macbook pro and the air, the pro is larger and costs less for things like a large hard drive etc.  I use a Macbook pro 13" for all of my personal computing and it does everything I need it to.  I also used it in graduate school for research and writing papers etc., but I will tell you that at least for now, Jaws and Microsoft Word are a more effective solution for writing papers etc. than are Pages and Mac.

The Air is so nice because it is so thin and light.  You give up things like having a CD/DVD drive, but that may not be important.  It also costs more to get the same kind of hard drive storage that you would get on a laptop.  When I priced them out a year and a half ago, the starting model for the Macbook Air only had 64 gb of storage, where the starter for the Pro had 500 gb.  They were similarly priced.  If you have another laptop though, this difference may not matter.

Hope this helps.  Best of luck as you start next year.

Go Deacs!

-Greg