[nabs-l] watch out! it's another ridiculous update from Google

Bryan Jones opensesame at me.com
Fri May 24 14:09:25 UTC 2013

The following information is in regard to Google's support for various web browsers in general and is not inteneded to imply any kind of support for screen-reading technology.

In 2011 Google enacted a policy to support the current and most recent previous version of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari & Chrome. This operates on a rolling schedule, so as a new full version of a browser is released, support is added for that version and dropped for the third oldest version. For example, IE 9 and 10 are currently supported, but if and when IE 11 is released, Google will add support for IE 11, maintain support for IE 10, and drop support for IE 9. This, of course, assumes Google's current policy remains in effect.

For GMail Users, here is a Google Knowledgebase article providing some more details about browser version support for the GMail web User interface. Note that this article is not targeted at screen reader Users, so YMMV.

In my experience I've found that the current versions of Chrome work well with VoiceOver on IOS devices running IOS 6 and Macs running Mountain Lion. I don't have enough experience with Chrome accessibility on Windows and Linux to provide an opinion.

ChromeVox is Google's own screen-reading technology that can be added to the Chrome browser running On Mac, Linux & Windows as well as the Chrome Operating System. Information and installation instructions for ChromeVox can be found at the following site: http://www.chromevox.com

Note that ChromeVox is Google's screen reader for the Chrome web browser and the ChromeOS, while TalkBack is Google's screen reader for Android.

HTH,
Bryan