[nabs-l] offensive questions

Desiree Oudinot turtlepower17 at gmail.com
Tue May 28 03:53:03 UTC 2013

Arielle,
Interesting points here. I was at a wedding reception a few weeks ago.
Two of my mom's friends had gotten married. While I was there, the
bride's brother, who's about a year older than me, sat down and talked
to me. At first, he didn't even realize I was blind. I could tell
because he kept making hand gestures and stuff to demonstrate his
points, or pointing at things. I explained that I couldn't see what he
was doing, and he just went on and on about how amazing I must be
because I'm blind. He did ask some genuine questions, which I answered
to the best of my ability, but after each question was answered, he
repeatedly reiterated how he would never be able to do those things
because he had been sighted all his life. He said, "You were born
blind. You don't know what you've missed. Sighted people rely on their
vision for everything." Then he took me to stand out in the rain with
him. he said, "how can you enjoy the rain if you can't see?" So I had
to explain the fresh scent (we were in the country), the feel of the
cool, refreshing drops, and the relaxing sound as it gently hit the
leaves and the grass. he thought that over for a minute, then asked me
if I identified colors by smells. I must have looked at him like he
had 8 heads, because he tried to say that green would smell like
fresh-cut grass, red would smell like flowing blood after you've cut
yourself, and blue would be the smell of a clear, crisp day at dawn.
While his descriptions were poetic, I walked away from that meeting
with him that night feeling a bit disgruntled. We exchanged phone
numbers, but we haven't talked since. I'm not sure if I should. On the
one hand, he was trying to put things in perspective, but on the other
hand, he also seemed just a little too fixated on the fact that sight
must play an integral role in anyone's life who has it. I even
explained about the friends I've known who have lost their sight later
in life and adapted, but that seemed to have little effect on him.
then again, we were both drinking, so that may have been a factor.
You know, sighted people think that being cut off from that sense
would cut them off from reality. But don't people feel the same way
about technology nowadays? How many people would welcome a massive
power outage that would leave them stranded for weeks or months
without their electronic devices, their computers, their
refrigerators, their heaters or air conditioners, even amenities like
toilets or traffic lights...What would we do? How would we cope?
Likewise, how many people do you know who seem glued to their smart
phones? they put them down for 30 seconds and they panic, wondering
how many facebook statuses and tweets they've missed. I consider that
to be a bit unhealthy. And yet everyone has their dependencies. Are
all dependencies unhealthy? Are they just human nature? Or is there
some way to eliminate the dependencies themselves, some way to foster
the idea of adaptability, so that the fear itself wouldn't breed so
much ignorance?