[nabs-l] offensive questions

Sophie Trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Wed May 29 01:43:33 UTC 2013

Melissa, while I had to laugh at your funny email, I disagree
with you. If we want sighties to stop patronizing us, we have to
be polite and respectful to them. If we don't educate them and
instead be rude to them and patronize them, no progress will be
made. I know it's hard. I know it's not been easy to be
respectful and patient. Sometimes, when I'm reading or writing
and someone asks me ten billion questions about my braillenote
like it's some kind of machine from outer space, I just wanna
say, "I'm busy here. Leave me alone." But because I want them to
know that I can do anything they can do and to prove that my
blindness doesn't make me an antisocial psychopath, I stop and
briefly explain my braillenote to them. The same goes for my
iPhone with voiceover or anything else I use or do. Patience can
get us places. After all, a lot of times sighties have to explain
things to us (or at least to me) about things like colors and
fashion. All I'm saying is, treat others how you wanna be
treated.