[nabs-l] Guide Dog or Cane? Which do u recommend and why?

Leye-Shprintse Öberg leyeshprintse at ymail.com
Fri Nov 1 09:46:48 UTC 2013

BS"D

Haley,

I think it depends on your own lifestyle. Some people are dog persons and some aren't. For me, I've always been a good cane user but I've always known that I'd become a guide dog handler one day. I feel so blessed to have my girl in my life, she makes my traveling easier but she also light up my life! Actually, I don't think you can compare a cane with a guide dog, the first is a dead thing and the other is a living creature! I wouln't count the social part into my decision either since it isn't the main goal with getting a guide dog. If you get a guide dog you need to be willing to plan your own life around the dog's routines and needs, feeding, relieving, resting, playing, cuddling etc, etc. Somedays, you'll maybe be forced to stay home since the dog is sick or isn't in the mood of working, dogs can have bad days too! Other costs which I've not seen are dog candy, toys, leashe, collars, beds and bowls, if they get old/distroyed, shoes, raincoats, winter coats, towels, ear cleaning etc, etc. To become a guide dog handler is like becoing a parent! I wish you good luck with your decisions!

Lesholom,
Leye-Shprintse <3