[nabs-l] Training centers not the real world

Bridget Walker bridgetawalker13 at aol.com
Mon Nov 11 04:57:17 UTC 2013

Here is my take and I warn you it is strong. You talk about Jonny who has autism. Did anyone catch on to the difference in the label. The thread emphasizes this "we as blind people" thing and I know we have had this talk are we really going to put a disability first? This is just me I was born with sight  but lost it very early on in life. I actually don't remember much from when I had bits of vision and I'm not totally blind but pretty close.
So how do I know what I do? My parents taught me just as they taught my sisters who are sighted and I understood everything. Did it take me longer? Sometimes yes but, for me I did not have to do anything different.
That's not to say I did not go to a training center or a school for the blind.
I went to a center for two five week programs when my vision was getting worse in my youth. I needed to gain ONM and tech skills. I also needed to learn to cook. As a college student I still fail lol.
Finally I went to a school for the blind for two years of high school. That had nothing to do with my inability to reach expectations  but my public school gave up. I was classified as having a visual processing learning disability rather then being blind.
That bit about schools for the blind being for multiple disabled students is not true. I was in a setting where students were working to state standards. I spent two years there and was able to do work back at my public school and graduate with the mainstream students. Lets face it I never really really left.

Sent from my iPad