[nabs-l] community choir question

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 12 06:02:22 UTC 2013

Kelsey,
I think you need to be your own advocate. Its definitely important to  sing
those vowels out clearly.
Listen critically to classically choir music. Notice how vowels are held out
or emphasized. For instance the letter A is sung like AH usually.
Try to immitate this. Since I have vision and saw print, I knew the vowels.
My chorus teacher in middle school had us practice vowels too.

If listening doesn't work, talk to the teacher.
Don't feel bad about asking. Its just a gap in knowledge.
Simply ask them to explain how to do it. It’s a certain way of shaping your
lips and breathing right.
Make sure to stand or sit straight up as this will help in singing out
clearly.
If you need further guidance, ask them to let you touch their face so you
are shown what its like.
Also if you wish to know what print vowels look like, you can get several
types of tactile alphabet sets. Some are plastic magnetic letters and I
think some are raised letters on cards. Do you have contact with a teacher
of the visually impaired or rehab teacher? They may know where to get
tactile letters although you probably can find them at toy stores.

Ashley