[nabs-l] Training centers not real world

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 12 21:56:37 UTC 2013

Joe,

Two things I would have you ponder are these: You appear to have had
blindness skills taught to you as a child. Many people don't have this
opportunity, especially those who lose sight later in life. Attending a
center is an individual choice, and if you already know the skills and
are living your life, I agree a center isn't a necessary option. But for
those who didn't receive an education in blindness skills earlier in
life, we need those skills before continuing on, conquering goals.

And no one believes a person must be an expert in any of the skills. No
one person will excel at everything, at least few of us. The point is
not to become an expert, but to learn basic, fundamentals of the skills
so we can go about life. Sighted people must know how to read and write
for pretty much every aspect of life. They require a basic knowledge of
computers for most jobs and school and really life in general. They must
have the ability to get from place to place. So as blind people, we must
know how to do these things, meaning we learn Braille to read and write,
computer to compete with our peers at school and work, travel abilities
to get to school and work and everything in between. All people know how
to do these basic functions; it doesn't mean they are experts in any
given field. The same rule applies to blind people. Centers are not
trying to make experts out of students. They are trying to provide basic
skills for living using methods that are accessible and efficient for
blind people.

Bridgit
Message: 14