[nabs-l] Training centers not real world

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 13 03:24:49 UTC 2013

Why do you assume it's the training center and not employers still
buying into stereotypes and negative perceptions? And the 70%
unemployment rate always mentioned is a little misleading because this
number includes children, seniors and those enable to work for health
reasons. So while the number is still too high, it's not 70%.

I know blind people more than capable, out there trying to find work,
and many employers won't give them the time of day merely because they
are blind. This isn't always the case, but in my experience, the
untrained, under-qualified blind people sitting at home don't want to
work and are not out looking for employment. So the blind people seeking
jobs tend to be more than capable of working, but employers don't want
to hire blind people. This recently happened to my husband because the
company didn't want to deal with supplying or allowing accomodations. An
investigation is currently underway with this company now. He's more
than qualified with his degree, 15 years of work experience and
currently pursuing a second degree.

And with the current economic situation, many people are sitting at home
unemployed. For the first time in years, college graduates are back
living with parents because the jobs just aren't there.

So there's more to this picture than you present. For someone going on
about living in the real world, you should really consider all the
variables and present a bigger picture because there's more to this
story.

Bridgit
Message: 7