[nabs-l] Training centers not real world

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 13 04:53:03 UTC 2013

Ashley,

You say, "since you are not explicitly taught, its structured discovery,
it
seems to me that the failures and mistakes you'd make would not garner
self
Confidence."

I don't think you understand Structured Discovery, which is also taught
at several state centers as well. This method was developed to teach by
encouraging problem-solving skills. When taught properly, Structured
Discovery allows you to apply a given skills or method to various
situations you will encounter in daily life.

In math, we are taught certain mathematical principles that are then
applied to any math problem. You do not need to learn how to answer each
individual math problem but can apply the principle to find the answer.

Based on your example of baking, you suggest a blind student should be
taught how to make each individual recipe, which isn't practical or
possible. Structured Discovery teaches general cooking an baking rules
that allow you to apply to any recipe you attempt. This is how anyone
would learn to cook and bake. Trial and error are a big part of the
Structured Discovery method.

When using the method to instruct in travel and mobility, it provides
you with the basic guidelines for most situations. How to properly use a
long white cane to navigate any setting, indoor or outdoor. It
demonstrates how to find curbs, stairs, objects and determine what an
object is, find open seats. You also learn, to the best of your ability,
how to orientate yourself and follow basic directions.

Again, based on the example you give, you seem to want to know how to
travel around with specific locations, but again, this isn't possible
unless you have someone with you every time you go somewhere new.
Structured Discovery is intended to teach you tools and methods that can
be applied to any situation and location. No, you may not automatically
know exactly how to find something or how to get there, but Structured
Discovery teaches you how to figure that out in a given situation.

My husband likes to use the following analogy to describe Structured
Discovery: It's like riding a bike; once you learn, you know how to do
it and don't need to relearn every time you get on a new bike. This may
over simplify it a bit, but you understand the meaning.

Just because you learn blindness skills through Structured Discovery
doesn't mean you will become perfect at all or will never struggle
again. But you will be equipped to problem solve and find the best tool
and/or method to figure out any given situation.

Travel is not my forte, and I don't easily figure out certain locations
all the time. But I know how to apply these rules, as it were, to help
me orientate myself and figure out where to go. And asking for help
isn't a bad thing. People often have this misinformed idea that the NFB
is against asking help, especially sighted help, but this isn't true. If
you need to ask for directions, that's a part of problem-solving and
traveling independently. If you need someone to help you understand a
location spatially, I see nothing wrong with this either.

Structured Discovery is like a tool box. You are given several tools
that are at your disposal. You may need to try a couple of different
ones to find the best tool for the right situation, but somewhere in
that box is the right tool.

Bridgit

Message: 2