[nabs-l] The Real World... OH REALLY????

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 20:37:49 UTC 2013

Ian,

I do wish there were better ways for students to be prepared in things
like that that are really visual.  Your trouble with calculus is sort
of similar to what I'm working through with a music theory course that
involves graphing.  I was not taught this in my high school theory
course because it is usually not taught at the undergraduate level,
and there really isn't a braille system for doing it so braille music
does me no good.  That, coupled with the fact that I had to step up
and teach myself braille music because my TVI refused to teach me in
high school, are presenting me with what sounds like a similar
problem.  I'll make it through, but teaching some of these specialized
concepts to blind students, especially once they've identified the
career they want to go into and their plans call for such knowledge,
is an issue that I feel really needs to be addressed with parents,
TVIs, and colleges and universities.

On 11/13/13, Kaiti Shelton <crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> this point, is up to parents to fight, fight, fight for their student's
>>> opportunity.  Most of the time, however; this isn't likely to be
>>> successful
>>> because parents are not often aware of their options.  School Systems
>>> take
>>> this fact and use it as a way to avoid spending money they are already
>>> short
>>> on toward the specific needs of a substantially small number of
>>> students.
>>> College is somewhat of an exception, but you tend to have a larger
>>> population of young adults seeking services from Disability Resource
>>> Centers.  Here again, unless you have an administration sensitive to the
>>> importance of Fair and Equal opportunities for all students, you are
>>> STILL
>>> going to find yourself at the mercy of equipment, time, andinsufficient
>>> training of instructors.
>>> I can not find the particular demographic that I heard at one time with
>>> regard to the number of instructors who have attended "Adaptive
>>> Curricula"
>>> seminars, and know that they are required to find some way to modiffy or
>>> enhance their lessons for  disabled students, and the actual number of
>>> those
>>> who actually do.
>>> Most rely soley upon the Disability Resource Centers to handle it...
>>> which
>>> usually ends up overloading those Centers greatly.
>>> Fundamentally, the question becomes, "Who is responsible?".  The
>>> truthful
>>> answer in my not so humble opinion is that it is everyone's
>>> responsibility.
>>>
>>> When you sign up for a program from an NFB Center, or a Voc. Rehab.
>>> Center,
>>> or aMainstream Educational facility, YOU are responsible for learning
>>> the
>>> material, Jumping through the ridiculousness that often is involved with
>>> textbook and lecture material inaccessibility, and you ar going to have
>>> utilize whatever protest options available until you are so tired of it
>>> that
>>> it seems worthless.
>>> You must not simply throw your hands up and and give in to the
>>> mired-down
>>> attitudes of those who are probably scared or ashamed that they are
>>> illequipped to help you.
>>>
>>>   ALWAYS take the high road when dealing with people who are supposed to
>>> help
>>> you, and when things go wrong, you seek appointments with Department
>>> Heads,
>>> University Provosts, and Presidents.  When those meetings fail, you go
>>> the Accredidation boards, the Federal Board of Education where funding
>>> comes
>>> from and you write letters... and letters... and letters... and you save
>>> coppies of every one, and every response you receive.   Eventually, you
>>> 80 pounds of paper to take to a lawyer who has the know how and the
>>> desire
>>> to make lots of money and you get things worked out.
>>> Does this suck?  YES it does.  Is there another way around?  Yes there
>>> is,
>>> but no one ever thinks about it until it's way too late.
>>> Make sure that YOU as a consummer / student are not being lazy.  Insist
>>> upon
>>> having your instructors explain verbally, things that you are not able
>>> see.  Remain professional, and polite at all times.  Get a friend to
>>> take
>>> pictures so someone can describe them later.  When a professor tells you
>>> you
>>> are not allowed to record his lectures, ignore HIM.  He cannot prevent
>>> it.
>>> If you are reprimanded for taking matters into your own hands, by that
>>> Professor, You report him immediately to the Department Head, or
>>> Provost.
>>> Keep in mind that you may be wrong, but if you do not bring light to the
>>> situation, then nothing gets seen by sighted people.  YOU have to be
>>> that
>>> useless flashlight for the sighted community.
>>> Take your mobility lessons seriously-- regardless of how inept you think
>>> your instructor is.
>>> Have friends come out to watch you on your lessons-- I guarantee
>>> instructors
>>> attitudes change.
>>> Don't think that you will never use or need Braille.  That is a
>>> ridiculous
>>> notion.  You may one day need it.
>>> Become a nerd.  Theese days, Geek is Sheek.  It is the Information Age!
>>> The
>>> more you know the better off you are.  Do not become lazy, read ahead in
>>> your texts.  Know what the teacher is going to tell you before you hear
>>> it.
>>> Spend every minute you have avoiding homework.  Get it done early, and
>>> check
>>> it over it until you know it's right.
>>> Forcde your fellow students to work just as hard as you do.  Ask
>>> questions!!
>>> Answer them when you're pretty sure you know the answer.  Even if you
>>> are
>>> wrong, it is the simple fact that you appear to be invested and engaged
>>> in
>>> your learning that will help you succeed.
>>> Irrespective of whatever "training school" you go to, ultimately, you
>>> are
>>> responsible for what happens to you.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ian  C. Bray

>>> for the blind because they refuse to adapt the curriculum but that is

--
Kaiti