[nabs-l] Stop Blaming the Economy

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Fri Nov 15 04:43:18 UTC 2013

Hello Arielle:
I feel like I've hashed out my points enough on either side to not
warrent another response regarding those facts. I do, however have some
points.

First, the screenreader licenses (specifically Jaws) prohibits us from
transfering licenses over to a professional system, as they would like
businesses to buy licenses. This means that if you should get a job you
will have one (and only one) computer you have access to, apart from
your personal computer if you stay within the bounds of the license
regarding the two computers you are allowed to run the software on. You
are also not supposed to run the software simoltaniously. While taking
your own laptop to work is also a viable solution, many corporations do
not allow personal computers on to their network for a ton of
reasons--the biggest being security. For example, I could not go to a
software development firm and bring my laptop along generally.

Many of us are writing these emails with screen readers, but I think
it's safe to say Uncle Sam has helped purchase our readers for us, which
may or may not happen when you get a job, depending on where you are
located.
On 11/14/2013 11:20 PM, Arielle Silverman wrote:
> [...]
> most of that. I think "blaming" the economy implies more than just
> acknowledging that it is a problem, but actually giving up power over
> things we can control such as skill building and taking the initiative
> to contact employers. I don't think many blind people are actually
> giving up their power like that and I don't think we should assume
> that because someone is unemployed it's because they are not trying
> hard enough. However, I also don't think Joe is painting an
> unrealistic picture. While there may be a surplus of applicants for
> some jobs, each one of us only needs to find one job. Not all of us
> will find jobs right away or the jobs we necessarily want the most,
> but I think that with creativity and persistence each  one of us is
> capable of attaining that goal.
>
> I think the sarcasm and accusation I am seeing on both sides of this
> argument are misplaced. We are here to build each other up and
> encourage each other to do the best we can in the situations we are
> in.
>
> Best,
> Arielle
>
> On 11/14/13, Littlefield, Tyler <tyler at tysdomain.com> wrote:
>> Joe:
>>
>> first, I'd love to hear where you live where money and job skills and
>> opportunities rain from the skies. It's pretty easy to talk about
>> "fronting the expenses," but most people who do graduate from college
>> have already taken out loan upon loan to graduate with. Subsiding on
>> raman, cheep beer and cheep pizza does not exactly mean people can
>> afford to "front the money" for an accessible environment.
>>
>> Second, my comments about people living with their parents does not
>> justify our ability (or lack there of, as you say) to get a job. I'm
>> just trying to point out that the economy is pretty rough right now,
>> which keeps competition up.
>>
>> Congrats on your job, congrats on your constant skill sharpening. Now we
>> all just need to learn to be just like you, and we will live full lives
>> with 5 jobs, 3 businesses and with no worries in the world!
>>
>> On 11/14/2013 10:16 PM, Joe wrote:
>>> Tyler,
>>>
>>> An employer would not need to pay hundreds of dollars for accommodations
>>> if
>>> we took it upon ourselves to come into the job with our own resources. In
>>> fact, that's a good way to minimize the perceived burden of hiring a
>>> blind
>>> person. It's not altogether impossible to keep up our software licenses.
>>> Anyone who goes into business for themselves has to front the expenses
>>> associated with creating an accessible working environment.
>>>
>>> I don't buy the argument that because many college graduates are living
>>> with
>>> parents blind people should feel justified in being unemployed. A lot of
>>> our
>>> generation is also doing ridiculous things like taking parents along to
>>> interviews. Does that mean we as blind people should start doing the