[nabs-l] "you are amazing"

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Fri Nov 15 16:51:20 UTC 2013

Darrian,
I think this is a really cool topic actually because I've seen people's
reactions and they are drastically different.

First, when someone says they are amazing, it means to me that they are
looking up to me somehow, or that I am somehow inspiring them. While I
do believe it's because they think I've done a ton to overcome some
debilitating disability that should've left me sitting at home waiting
on my golden platter, it always makes me feel a bit better. Not because
I like to hear it, because I know there are just as many blind people
out there doing what I am, but because I know that I can have that
affect on someone and perhaps it will help in some way. So my reaction
is to generally say thanks, or to take the conversation forward from there.

On the flipside, I've found myself doing the same thing for a couple of
people. One person in particular for example has been through more than
I could really imagine ever having to deal with and is an amazing person
at the end of it all. When I use amazing in that same context, they
obviously say they are not, which always kind of brings me full circle
to when people tell me the exact same thing. So just some food for
thought there.

I do think it's worth noting here that when people generally tell you
this, it's not them feeling sorry for you, but looking up to you. I feel
like we should treat this similarly. Don't give them a bad reaction, but
give them an inspiration, give them someone to look up to.