[nabs-l] Stop Blaming the Economy

Jamie P. blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 01:23:31 UTC 2013

First, let me get my key positions out of the way with very little
song-and-dance...
1. I understand the economy is in the dumps, however, this does not mean
there are ZERO jobs available. In fact, I frequently encounter a large
number of businesses in my area alone (Denver and surrounding cities) that
are, in fact, hiring. There are, of course, more and more people who have
been laid off in previous years who will be competing for these jobs along
with the recent college grads with significantly less work experience. The
fact of the matter is that jobs are hard to get, but perhaps not so hard to
find, and when people say "stop blaming the economy", they are more likely
trying to say that knowledge of the state of the economy is not sufficient
reason to simply not look for a job - ACTIVELY! If you really want a job,
you have to beat the pavement. You have to fill out lots of applications
and make lots of phone calls and in-person visits to places that are
hiring, every single day, until you've either run out of options or have
that job. It's probably not going to be your dream job. You might be
serving ice cream in the mall with a bunch of high schoolers for a year,
but you'll be getting work experience and earning money, and if that is
important to you, that's what you'll need to do. If you're content
collecting SSI, or if you're holding out for some more ideal job that may
or may not exist, I don't have a problem with that. That's your choice. I
just personally don't enjoy listening to a small few peers (probably not on
list) who will not even take the first steps in trying to find a job and
will say it's because the economy is bad.

2. Regarding job accommodations, it has generally been my experience that
if you are offering up a solution to an access problem that will not cost
your employer a dime, they're willing to work with you. For example, I
worked for a research institute for a short time, and needed to perform,
all of my work tasks on a computer. When I suggested that I use my own
laptop at work so that the employer wouldn't have to acquire or install any
new software on their own, and would in fact have a computer of their own
completely unoccupied and available for another's use, they were thrilled.
I know a few sighted software developers who use their own laptops at work,
too. Security isn't as huge an issue as you might think. There are enough
contractual agreements between employers and employees to keep everyone
protected, and where those fail, firewalls and other technological security
measures step in. A much bigger issue for any employee is going to be the
cost of hiring you, and if there is any way at all that you can clearly
minimize that cost from the start, you'll be better off.

3. Finally, I could be wrong, but I'm not sure I've heard anyone discuss
self-employment as an option for a lot of us who are qualified for hire but
can't seem to find a job for what ever reason. I wont say it's easy to
start a business, but it isn't so difficult that you need to be some kind
of super genius or business expert to do it, and this I can say from
experience. Sometimes, to be successful, you have to travel the road less
taken. If you have a skill, a talent, a special interest or hobby that
you're happy to put a lot of time into, chances are very good that here's a
way to monazite it and turn a profit. Programming is great for this,
because software costs virtually nothing to make, and only requires time
and effort as start-up capital. Teaching is another skill that can be
turned into a self-employment opportunity. I have a friend who makes his
entire living as a private tutor, and lives very comfortably with no need
for SSI or any similar benefits. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. I
feel like if we're going to discuss blindness and employment, we need to
give the idea of self-employment a fair amount of time in our minds and in
our discussions because while it is not the standard 9 to 5 we typically
associate with the American Dream, it is certainly a viable path to the
same, if not greater, success in this world.