[nabs-l] Stop Blaming the Economy

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 23:12:36 UTC 2013

Tyler,

Are you saying my position in the government is comfortable because you
think they hire anything off the street or because they bend backward to
give you anything you need? You'd be sorely mistaken on both counts. It took
me years to get into an agency that only hires a couple hundred for every
few thousand who apply, and as for accommodations, I had far better luck in
the private sector getting what I need than I've gotten in the federal
government. You'd think government would be the most disability-friendly
employer. That's a knee slapper.

I'm not sure why you would pretend to know my work history. I have in fact
worked, and still work with, the same major corporations and shoe string
businesses you reference. I honestly don't see where you were headed with
that line of thinking. I've encountered the same biases and prejudices at
employers large and small. I've even had experiences where I show up for an
interview after being vetted and got turned away upon discovering I was
blind. I could have developed some sort of a record for taking some of these
places to court, but instead I went back home and began working on the next
batch of applications. The irony is that even now when I want to provide
services for free as a philanthropic gesture, there are places that do not
want the volunteer service. I keep looking, because there are ten other
places that will gladly accept the free labor.

You claim my bootstraps ideal is very, very flawed but give no compelling
evidence proving it. You did not answer my direct question in the other post
about what alternative advice you would provide. I am left to assume that
you have no answer, and that's okay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm left
to  gather you are young, still in school and can therefore not give
concrete evidence to what it is like to be unemployed, truly unemployed,
something I have been and can testify to the feeling of overbearing
frustration it conjures.

If some of us alumni come back to the list, it's to try to give you a
glimpse of what waits for you and dispense proven advice that will help you
get around the inevitable challenges. If my way of thinking does not suit
you, I totally respect that, but don't fight the benefit my logic could have
on others. After all, I began this thread in direct response to references
in the training center discussion to graduates who could not find jobs on
account of the economy. That's one quick way to give up on looking for jobs
and giving up on oneself. The suggestion that my style of thinking is an
idealistic notion is laughable. Idealistic is putting faith in a government
system that will not be able to sustain social benefits forever. Social
Security is just one example of a benefit our generation will more than
likely not be able to enjoy when we need it, and that's not ideology, that's
economics.

I would argue the more you teach yourself to pull yourself up by your own
bootstraps, the less dependent you will be on the whims of Congress, an
employer, or your family. That's real independence.

And, to those who are not doing what they can to help blind people find
jobs, point me to them so's I can smack them about a bit! It's a disservice
not to do what we can to help each other out, but I'll say this much
speaking for myself, I only put my own neck out for people committed to hard
work. I've already been burned by someone I helped put into a good position.
It severely backfired and destroyed my reputation with that employer. Never
again.

Joe