[nabs-l] family's misunderstandings of the real world

Beth Taurasi denverqueen1107 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 20 16:01:14 UTC 2013

Hi, all.
I was recently Facebook chatting my cousin and she accused me of doing
the following things:
1. Obsession with my latest boyfriend, who she might have a problem with
because he is blind.
2. She said I should be open to dating sighted people, yes, Arielle, you
are married to a sighted man, but not all sighted people like a blind
woman, and statistically it isn't true that sighted people will go out
with blind women.
3. She says that blind people can do things, but she says I don't
understand the real world.  What? I told her I do understand the real
world, I pay my bills, I save money, I work with money. I don't pay
taxes because in my understanding of the so-called "real world", SSI is
not taxable, and finding a job for me is hard because I am dually disabled.
I need help also convincing her that parenting is possible even with my
particular disabilities.  I've tried referring her to NFB's parenting
without Sight thingies, and she doesn't seem interested. I have a lot of
friends on here so I'm posing this question.  Also, she says I should
move back to Florida, but after all this stuff I've been through back
there, I said to her, "No.  I've got all I need in Denver."
Please help.
Beth