[nabs-l] family's misunderstandings of the real world

Daniel Romero djdan567 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 16:39:49 UTC 2013

Hi Beth,
1. Yeah though she might have a problem with your latest boyfriend
because he's blind, and you might have become obsessive, all our
families want is the best for us. Obsessive is okay, you're in the
honeymoon stage, it's normal. But the blind factor is something our
families are always going to feel a little nervous about as they
think/feel/want to be secure that we'll always have someone there
who's sighted ready to help us in whatever we may need help with.
That's not saying your family doubts your abilities, but they just
want the best for you at the end of the day.
2. Just because she's giving you this piece of advice, don't shut it
down because you currently have a blind boyfriend and you're sitting
on top of the world. She's just giving you some words of advice. No
one ever said you had to comply with them. And from experience, a
sighted guy will date/approach a blind woman faster than a sighted
woman would a blind man. (Lol but I guess that can be debated).
3. Stop trying to prove yourself to someone. We as blind people spend
so much time, trying to impress/change the minds of people who don't
live in our shoes everyday, that we get so flustered, (Which you
already have gotten). If she doesn't think you live the real world,
let her think that. If she doesn't want to be a part of the NFB
parents of blind children group, then she doesn't have too. Live your
life. If you're happy, you do the things you do for your reasons that
bennifit you, then do it. Stop trying to make the world happy around
you when at the end of the day, all that matters is your happiness and
what you're comfortable with.
Might have came off pushy in this e-mail, I just don't want you giving
power to those who don't/won't understand and won't take the time out
to view what life is like in your shoes.
Take care!