[nabs-l] Some Job Questions...

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 01:53:55 UTC 2013

There are talking cash registers, and depending on your circumstances, there are also ways to mark buttons on regular cash registers with Braille label tape or sticky dots. If you have a bill reader device or an app on your phone that can so the same thing, handling customers cash will be easy, and when making change, you'll know all the money in the register is sorted and just need to memorize the location of ones, tens, fives and so on. I've known blind teenagers who ran a register at fast food chains in the past. It can certainly be done. As for food prep, pretzels are a very tactile thing to make. You'll have your hands on the dough, twisting and shaping it. You won't be making anything in small quantities. It will all be big batches, so measuring should be easier than filling tiny teaspoons and cups. Have you used an oven before? If so, very similar safety principals apply to commercial ovens. As long as you keep your work station organized and mark any controls or buttons with tactile labels, there is no reason a blind person can't do everything necessary to run a pretzels stand. Any other tasks will be basic cleaning, washing tools and counter tops, sweeping and tidying up. All things you should already be doing in your own home.

Sent from my iPhone