[nabs-l] Some Job Questions...

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 22 05:26:51 UTC 2013

Kerri,
Well this will be tough. I don't think many blind people work at fast food
places.
What skills do you have with the computer? Do you know the Microsoft suite
well? Have you volunteered in offices or other events?
Do you have any college, or just a high school diploma? I ask because
knowing your skills may help me or others here suggest realistic jobs for
you. One idea may be if you like talking on the phone and you have pretty
decent computer skills, customer service may be an option. I know several
blind people working full time in customer service who have high school
diplomas.
Also, do you play piano and have a good ear for it? If so, piano tuning may
be an option although I don't know where you get trained for it. Another
idea I had assuming you have a high school diploma only is telemarketing or
doing survey work.
Another option may be getting certified as a braille proofreader or
transcriber if that interests you.

You might should check the spelling of restaurants before writing again.
However, I know what you mean as
the spelling is close enough.

Have you worked with a commercial oven? Have you done any tasks like you'd
do at the restaurant such as cleaning counters and kitchen surfaces,
organizing large amounts of food, and tiding up the place?
If you have done any of this, it will be easier to convince them to give you
a chance. If not, still try but it will be harder.
I know they have online applications, but I think you should talk to someone
in management before applying online.
Its best to have human contact.

Now my opinion.
I think you should try it. I've heard of blind people working in restaurants
before.
Yes, there are talking cash registers but realisticly they won't pay for
that accomodation when they have 50 other applicants not needing that
accomodation. Just saying, its not realistic. I don't know of any blind
people using cash registers except for the vending program.
I follow the braille monitor too and never saw a blind Mcdonalds or Chicken
out cash registerer.
Yes, its doable if you have a talking register and money identifier, but I
know they are not going to accommodate that.

I suggest you work behind the scenes where less expensive accomodations can
be put in place.
Just label the food items and ovens and dish washer and you should be
alright.

I think you might have a better chance at Anti Anne's pretzels.
I know that place; they tend to be less busy even in our busiest mall.
As other's said, making pretzels is a hands on tactile thing. You will
measure in larger quantaties than you're used to. You will also be required
to cover your hands with gloves and wear  an apron. There's
other safety and sanitation measures too; I just say this so you do not
think cooking a pretzel is like cooking it at home.
Someone suggested making pretzels at home and I agree with that; this way
you know the basic ideas of making them.
So give it a try.
The cleaning should be similar to cleaning at home. I've been at restaurants
near closing time. Generally, I observed their cleaning stuff is just
larger. They have vacuum cleaners and mops. They also sweep as well.
I hope you have good cleaning skills.

If possible, I think you should talk to someone who works at a fast food
place to get a sense of what is there and their duties. This way you can
think ahead of ways you can  contribute and any possible accomodations you
need.

As for Panera Bread, try it. I know they have one person working the cash
register and multiple people taking orders. Other than that, I'm not sure as
I haven't seen Panera Bread behind the scenes. I'm sure there is something
you can do though, but making the sandwiches may not be the best place to
start. I know you can make sandwiches, its just that I believe it would be
rather challenging to do it in a time pressured environment and you do not
have the advantage of feeling things first hand. Remember to prepare
anything, you have to wear gloves.

Its just that I want to suggest something you can succeed at, and I think
prepping sandwiches and items like it at panera Bread will be challenging;
heck, I bet its challenging for anyone as its done precisely; its not like
prepping items at home.

However there are things you could do. Not knowing the job descriptions,  I
cannot say if these jobs are full time or even cover a part time worker's
job description. I suggest you get more details about what jobs Panera
needs; you could do online research, talk to someone in person through your
community contacts such as your church, or simply call them up. Just say you
are interested in the jobs there and need more details about your
responsibilities.

Jobs that you could do are dish washer, cleaning the restaurant, setting up
items like restocking the napkin holders, and taking orders. You could also
be a cator coordinator if you have fairly decent computer skills.

I also suggest you check the AFB career connect website to see if you can
find a virtual mentor who has worked in the food service industry.

I hope it works out.
Me, I wish I could work at the movie theatre or a box office as an entry
level job. These jobs don't require a college diploma, although I have one,
but at least it would be a job using my communication skills.

Ashley