[nabs-l] volunteering

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 28 03:41:47 UTC 2013

Lillie,
I suggest you job shadow some people in these fields. Also conduct
informational interviews which basically means you interview someone in the
field about their job; ask how they got there, what skills they use, what
typical duties are like, and what they like and dislike about the job.

Its smart of you to research careers because so many people just take jobs
they don't like or they go to higher education and study a lot. After
studying and obtaining a degree, they get jobs and find out they hate the
field.

Preparing early will help you get a good career and a happy one too.
To volunteer, look at nonprofits.
I assume you want to work with people because psychologists, social workers,
and nurses all work with people and help them.
For the social work and psychology fields, you could assist in a nonprofit.
You could help clients.
Some nonprofits need people to perform intake screenings which means you ask
questions to assess elligibility.
You could do that. I do not know the rules about helping psychologists; they
may not let you help directly due to the license needed and confidentiality.
But, what I'm thinking is psychologists lead support groups all the time.
Maybe you could help facilitate them.
I know agencies often take office volunteers, but I think what you're
seeking is more hands on with clients.

If talking to people in crisis interests you, there are nonprofits who need
hotline volunteers. Although, I'm not sure you can do it in summer as the
training is so long and they often require at least a 6 month commitment.
You could also work at a homeless shelter assisting their case managers.
You could do presentations at the homeless shelter to their clients on a
life topic like nutrition as long as you know it and research it well.
If working with the prison population is of interest, you can lead classes
in a jail or prison if they run a volunteer program.
For the nursing, I don't know. That is such a specialized field requiring
training to do that intricate work of using the equipment.
I cannot think of a way to help a nurse since you lack the training for
health care workers.
I know nursing homes take volunteers, so maybe you could assist in a health
related capacity there.

When I tried to volunteer in   the summer, I found that they wanted a longer
commitment than I could give. Also I ran into computer issues because not
all nonprofits let me install jaws.
I hope you find one that works for you. Keep in mind you need to often
apply, be interviewed, and go through a background check. This takes time.
My suggestion would be start early! Fill out applications during spring
break and try to get an interview or two in spring break when you're home.
Some applications are online, others are a downloadable form which you need
sighted assistance to fill out.
It can take a few weeks for a background check. So, do start early,
otherwise the summer will be half over before you are cleared to volunteer.

Good luck.
Ashley