[nabs-l] volunteering

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 03:40:51 UTC 2013

I did a lot of volunteering during high school in jobs that are somewhat related to these fields. All of these professions will require you to have an understanding of people in different stages of life, including children and the elderly. I used to volunteer with my local library's Summer Reading Program, which gave me the opportunity to work with children of all ages with many unique backgrounds. I also worked at the senior center, helping with recreational activities, and learned a lot about senior life and the many unique challenges the elderly face. When I was a bit younger, I spent three years as a student aide in my school's special education department and worked very closely with children and other teens who spanned a wide spectrum of physical and cognitive exceptionalities. I helped mostly with classroom activities and had a lot of one on one time with students, but I observed a lot to relating to care of students medical needs. If your school has a program like this, you should consider getting involved. It would be great for the career paths you've mentioned. Tutoring is great, too. When I started college, I tutored at a local middle school with a study buddy program for underprivileged students who were struggling with the basics. It was a great opportunity to learn about how kids learn, and experience the perspectives of kids facing some very grown up challenges in life, like poverty and hunger and abandonment. It's a great way to help and broaden your mind at the same time.

Best,

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone