[nabs-l] French class

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 05:26:32 UTC 2013

Hi,

Although I did not end up taking the class due to scheduling issues, I
almost had to deal with this in AP Spanish.  Here is what my teacher
and I came up with.

A lot of the classes were conducted entirely in Spanish, and students
were expected to use Spanish when talking to the teacher even outside
of the class period whenever possible.

To learn new words, it wasn' so much of an issue because the teacher
would always review them with the English translations at the
beginning of each unit.  This was so everyone could see the word in
writing and hear it pronounced correctly.  (She would often spell the
word for me so I could take notes).  In AP Spanish a lot of the spoken
Spanish was to address fluency with sentence structure and grammar.
For this I would have gone in early to meet with the teacher
independently, or used a study hall to meet with her to go over
translations and make sure I had everything right.

Have you tried asking the professor for office hours, or even an email
with a list of the words and their English translations you could
follow along with while she's drawing the pictures on the board?  I'm
not sure how much dialogue you've had with her on this, but that seems
like the best way to do it.  If she's showing people pictures of
things as a form of visual translation, and you're not a visual
learner, that seems like a very reasonable fix to me.

On 10/2/13, Brandon Keith Biggs <brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am in a french class where the teacher doesn't believe in translating
> anything
> It is beginning french and half of her class is her drawing pictures and
> words on the board.
> She says the word in french, draws the picture and erases it.
> To say I am lost is to put it mildly. I speak a little Italian, so can
> get some things because they are the same in Italian or really near. But
> she does maybe a hundred words a day and goes way too fast for me to
> write down all the words and put them through a translater or ask her
> after class.
> She talked for 20 minutes and I had no idea she was talking about time
> until she explained in English that you have to use the 24 hour system
> in France for official time.
> Does anyone know how I can make this type of class work? I really would
> like to take at least one language class in a class room. So far
> everything has been on my own.
> Thank you,
>
> --
> Brandon Keith Biggs