[nabs-l] Fwd: [Cabs] TVI Braille Training

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 18:29:46 UTC 2013

Whoa whoa.  To be a certified TVI program you have to include coursework in braille.  I would be very surprised to discover any programs that don't include a braille course.  The quality of these courses will vary from program to program and some programs include more braille courses than others.  This kind of project would be done much easier if the student already had a relationship with a program, either knew a student or a professor who indicated there was a need in the area.  Teachblindstudents.org used to maintain a list of the teacher prep programs in the country but I did not see it at first glance on the website.  You would really need to look at the course catalog for each program to determine the number of braille courses.  To determine their quality you would have to get a syllabus or talk to people who had gone through that program.

I would recommend jointing the professionals in blindness education list and asking if there are professionals who have recently graduated who would be willing to discuss their preparation in the area of braille.

And… Vanderbilt indeed still has a program.  I graduated from it last August.  :)

Greg Aikens, M. Ed.
Teacher of students who are blind and visually impaired
Cobb County School District
gpaikens at gmail.com