[nabs-l] Studying abroad

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at comcast.net
Fri Oct 11 19:56:38 UTC 2013

Hi, Minh,

         I have always been very hungry to travel abroad
particularly, after meeting my childhood friend, Tieu, whom was
adopted from the Nguyen Dinh Chieu blind school in Hanoi. While a
kid, I always wanted to visit the school and aexperience Tieu's world
before being adopted by white people. In fact, Tieu recently visited
Nguyen Dinh Chieu as an adult.

I did get a chance to visit Kukizaki, Japan in '97 with my
juniorhigh's sister city when, a delligation of kids visited that
town where we lived with homestays, touring  some major tourest
attractions such as Niko shrine, a historic monestary  as well as the
sakura (cherry blossom) festival, a day trip to Tokyo, my homestay
itself was an old temple. In my case, a girl, Yuri, lived amungst my
homestay enviroment since, I think nowadays, although it wa great
having access to Yuri's uunderstanding of the Japanese languag, I
didn't get the experience to complete isolation caused by blind
people being without the ability to communicate. Good luck, Minh!
   studied abroad this last summer with my University in France. I
took Stockard with me, my guide dog, and had a great time! You have
my contact information I think, feel free to get in touch with me off
list and I can tell you all about my experience. :-)