[nabs-l] voice lessons help needed

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 19:51:15 UTC 2013

Hello,
I am currently shopping around for a voice teacher.  I have found
a couple.  However, one teacher has a requirement that I am not
sure I can to meet.  The teacher is a vocal coach who teaches his
lessons based on his performance experience.  He teaches all
styles of music.  However, he does not play an instrument.  So he
requests that his students obtain backing tracks for the songs
they want to sing.  Since I use JAWS, I don't know if there is a
way I can do this.  Most of the web sites that have these are not
very accessible.  I could use itunes, but I have not found a
reliable method for burning CD's without using the mouse.  So I
have no idea how this could be done.  I would think that walking
into a lesson carrying a laptop is not practical.  I play piano,
so do you think I could avoid this by saying that I could play
the chords on the piano? Someone who has gone through this,
please help.  I would like to study with him since his rate is
reasonable, at $10 per half hour.  He does know that I am
visually impaired and is fine with that issue.  However, I just
don't know how to deal with this issue.  If you have ever burned
a CD using JAWS, how do you do it? Itunes is what I normally use,
but if I have to do it with Windows Media player, I could do it.
The only reason I prefer itunes is because I use an ipod.  Or is
there another free source where I can find backing tracks which
would be more accessible? Is youtube good? I've used it for other
things, but I have found that JAWS tends to interfere with the
video a lot.  So, fellow JAWS users, what do you recommend? Can I
use the excuse that I cannot get a backing track because of the
issues I described above?
Thanks,
Kelsey Nicolay