[nabs-l] Questions regarding transition to cane use

Ashley Allen abunchoflettersandnumbers at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 01:36:31 UTC 2013

Hi all!

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Ashley. I am new to this
group and am a  university student this year after transferring from
community college. I have nystagmus and have severe strabismic amblyopia. I
still have a decent amount of usable vision, but it is steadily getting
worse. I am legally blind in my left, and nearing so in my right. My
opthamologist has brought up the possibility of cane usage recently as I am
steadily losing my usable vision. I am currently still able to drive, with
restrictions, and commute to campus. He's suggested this so that I may
familiarize myself with cane use and to identify myself while on campus...I
tend to get very lost as I have trouble seeing the tiny signs...

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is this appropriate as I can still drive?
What are peoples thoughts on transitioning to cane use mid semester?

I havent brought it up with my disability services on campus yet, as I want
to visit the state resources first, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ashley